Troubleshooting Electrical Problems

After we moved into a house that seemed to have a lot of electrical problems, I had to learn how to troubleshoot things and fast. I learned how to flip the switch on my circuit breaker, deal with tripped GFCI outlets, and even how to rewire an outlet with the power off. It was a lot of work, but I was able to save a lot of money on professional services. However, after trying in vain to fix my circuit breaker on my own, I realized that I needed some help from an expert. A professional came out, took apart my panel and fixed everything. This blog is all about troubleshooting electrical issues and when to call a pro.

3 Risks Of Trying To Fix Your Wiring Yourself


Fixing your house up on your own can be very satisfying, and doing projects around the house can sometimes save you time and money. However, not every project that your home needs is suitable for the DIY approach. When you have an electrical problem, as tempted as you are to DIY it, you are better off using a professional electrician to get the job done. There are a number of risks that come from trying to fix your wiring on your own, and you should know about them.

Injury Or Death

When you are working with electricity, there is an inherent danger. Electricity is very dangerous, and when your wires are handled incorrectly, electricity can harm you. If you forget to turn off your breakers when working with your wiring, a simple mistake can get you shocked. Small shocks are just uncomfortable, but more series cases of electrocution are also possible. Severe electrocution can cause deep burns, and high voltage shocks can cause nerve damage and death.

House Fire

If you don't know what you're doing when you're working on an electrical project, you might just end up with a fire on your hands. Fires can be caused by even minor seeming things, like using the incorrectly rated bulb for your fixtures or using the wrong type of wiring when you are trying to repair wiring. Unstable and improper wiring causes huge amounts of electrical fires each year, and if you try to take on a wiring job yourself without any training, you are more likely to wire your home in a way that is unstable.


If you wire things incorrectly, you might end up doing more damage than good. Improper wiring can lead to melted wires, broken appliances and even damage to the interior of your home. You can end up damaging whole swaths of wiring that will have to be removed and then replaced. Insurance companies might not cover any damage that has been done to your home due to an unlicensed electrician's mistakes, so you will have to pay for the damage to your home yourself.

The next time your wiring is on the fritz, resist the temptation to get out your tool belt and try to handle it yourself. You don't want to end up with property damage or with severe bodily injury. Instead, contact local electrical services like Action Electric to do the job for you.


26 May 2016