After we moved into a house that seemed to have a lot of electrical problems, I had to learn how to troubleshoot things and fast. I learned how to flip the switch on my circuit breaker, deal with tripped GFCI outlets, and even how to rewire an outlet with the power off. It was a lot of work, but I was able to save a lot of money on professional services. However, after trying in vain to fix my circuit breaker on my own, I realized that I needed some help from an expert. A professional came out, took apart my panel and fixed everything. This blog is all about troubleshooting electrical issues and when to call a pro.
If you've had a rodent problem in your home, one thing you should be concerned about is the condition of your electrical wiring. Rats and mice chew on anything they can find including electrical wiring. When they chew through the insulation, hot wires are exposed that could be a fire hazard. Once you've eliminated the rodents and cleaned up the mess they left behind, you should call for an inspection of your wiring just to be safe. Here are some repairs that may need to be done.
Inspecting For Damaged Wiring Insulation
The electrician will examine the wiring for signs of damage. All it takes is a single area of exposed wiring to start a fire, so the inspection must be thorough. You could have damaged wiring in the attic without having any noticeable problems such as electrical shorts, so a visual inspection is the best way to tell if the rodents did any damage that needs to be repaired.
Splicing Damaged Wires Together
If the wire has enough slack in it, the damaged area can be cut out and the undamaged ends joined together in a junction box. If a single wire has several gnawed places it may be more efficient to just replace a large section of the wire with new materials. When rodents chew on wires, the damage they do is usually limited to chewing away the insulated wrapper. Keeping the wiring covered is important in preventing a fire. If a new section of wiring is added, it will have insulation on it. The ends where the wiring are spliced together are placed in a junction box for protection. If the wiring has enough slack to join the wire together after the damage is cut away, the electrician uses one junction box. If new wiring is spliced into the old wiring, two junction boxes are needed.
Installing New Wiring
It's unlikely that rodents will do so much damage that your home needs new wiring. They like to chew on so many different things that they spread their damage around. They may even chew on plumbing pipes as well as the wood in your attic. However, if the wiring in the attic has a lot of damage and it is found to be aluminum wiring, then your electrician might recommend replacing it since aluminum wiring is no longer used and it is associated with a higher risk of fire. If the wiring is old knob and tube wiring, it may need to be replaced because of its age and the fact that it could be deteriorating, hazardous, and easy to damage by rodents in the future.
To learn more, contact a company like McDonald Electric.Share
9 April 2018